5 Lessons From Marie Kondo To Help You Tidy Up Your Job Search
Many people across Ireland have tuned in to Marie Kondo’s new Netflix series, discovering how to declutter their homes and bring joy into their lives. If you love the theory, consider how it can be applied to other areas of your life – beginning with your search for the ideal new job!
Find A New Job The Marie Kondo Way!
Here’s how Marie Kondo’s principles could transform your job search:
- Visualise it. Making any positive change can feel overwhelming, and even more so if you don’t have a clear idea of what you want. Take some time to identify what is important to you. For example, do you want to work for a company that is ethical? Do you need a flexible working arrangement to accommodate your other commitments? Getting clear on your priorities can help you to focus on what really matters and streamline your job search.
- Work methodically. Just as you wouldn’t attempt to declutter every room in your house at the same time, you shouldn’t approach your job search thinking that you need to work on every aspect of it at the same time. Break it into manageable chunks, such as creating a great CV, networking with contacts and researching potential companies, for example, and work through these methodically.
- Organise your job search. In decluttering a house, Kondo tells us that everything must have a place. This can be applied to your job search too, and can create a methodical approach that puts you in control of your career. Create a database to log all of your applications and any key information relating to them, and record all successful and unsuccessful interviews, as well as networking contacts you may have gained. A simple spreadsheet can revolutionise your job hunt and make a big difference to how organised you feel.
- Let the wrong jobs go. Think about how this approach enables you to let go of the objects in your home when you are decluttering. Marie Kondo encourages a process of expressing thanks to the object for serving its purpose for you, before freeing it to move on to another home. This is a great way to approach rejections and disappointments in your job search. Each application will have held a lesson or learning experience for you, and it is important to appreciate that while recognising that it was not the right role for you at this time.
- Consider the joy. Kondo recommends keeping items that spark joy, and this should be a priority for your job search too. A job is not just about making enough money to pay your bills: it’s a big decision that can affect every area of your life. Take the time to really think about how you feel about a job you are considering applying for. Is it a good fit for you? Could it be a source of joy in your life? If not, don’t waste your time.
Are You Looking For Recruitment Agencies In Galway?
CareerWise is Ireland’s leading specialist Technical and Executive Recruitment firm, and our team can help you to find the best positions in the Medical Device, Sciences/Pharma and ICT industries.
We are based in Cork, Shannon and Galway, so simply call us at CareerWise on +353 (0) 21 206 1900 for a consultation, or contact us online today.