Finding a New Job: When to Start Your Search
Finding a new job can be a frustrating process that takes a lot of time and energy, so it’s a good idea to consider it carefully beforehand and prepare yourself for the search. It’s unlikely that you’ll walk into your dream job on your first day of looking for new roles, so think about when it will be the right time for you to pursue a new avenue.
Think about the industry that you wish to work within, and whether you’re considering a new career pathway or a promotion within your current area. Some times of the year are likely to be more stressful than others, and the last thing you want is to put yourself under pressure by beginning a job search when you are moving house, going through an illness in the family or struggling with your existing commitments.
The Right Time to Search for a New Job:
1. When you want a new job. It may sound simplistic, but it’s true! If you’re all fired up and enthusiastic about finding a new position, you’re much more likely to approach a job search positively and stay committed to your goal.
2. When you don’t want a new job. You may think it’s ridiculous, but when you’re feeling satisfied and not too desperate to find a new position may be the perfect time for a change of role. If you are feeling good about where you are, you’ll bring much more potential to a new employer and feel more upbeat about your chances of success if an exciting new role should suddenly crop up.
3. When it’s not holiday time. During long summer holiday periods you may find that key staff and recruiters are unavailable and those who are around are extra busy. Try to focus your search at the optimum time for the business you are seeking a role within, to maximise your chances of your application or CV being read by the right person at the right time.
4. In the New Year. There’s little point in going all out to pursue a new position in December when the workload is heavy, stress runs high and management priorities are taken up with the Christmas party and secret Santa. Beginning your search in the New Year gives you a chance to harness the power of change as everyone around you makes resolutions, and you’ll also be making the most of the fact that many companies budget on a calendar year basis so will have much more flexibility for new positions at this time.
5. When you need a new challenge. Reaching the pinnacle of success in your current position may mean you are no longer challenged or inspired by your role. Stepping sideways into a position that will help you to develop further skills is one approach, or you could give yourself a new challenge by aiming for a position with more responsibility that builds on your current level of experience.
Find Professional Recruitment Agencies in Cork, Limerick, Shannon and Galway
Of course, any search for a new job is made easier when you work with a professional recruitment agency. Matching you up with available jobs that suit your skill set is just the first step in a process that could ultimately lead to your dream job.
CareerWise is Ireland’s leading specialist recruitment firm, based in Cork, Limerick, Shannon and Galway, and our friendly team are on hand to help you. Contact us online now or call us on +353 (0) 21 206 1900 to arrange a consultation.recruitment agencies cork