How To Excel At Interview: “Tell Me About Yourself…”
Many interviewers open by asking the candidate to talk about him or herself, and this can be quite an overwhelming way to begin an important interview! Here, we share our tips on answering this question in a unique and positive way that will help you to stand out from the other candidates.
Securing an interview is the first part of the process of getting a new job, and we can help to connect you with the best positions for you. We have worked with many individuals to help prepare for applications and interviews, and we pride ourselves on our excellent placement record.
Essential Tips For Answering Key Interview Questions
The following tips can help you to formulate a great response to the question, “Can you tell me about yourself?”:
- Don’t waffle. This question is not a cue to begin talking at great length about your life, and you should focus on developing a short and concise answer. Think about what is most relevant, and cut anything that is superfluous to your application for this particular job.
- Start where you are. Rather than beginning with a trip down memory lane, which may not be the most relevant part of your answer, begin with a quick description of where you are now. Outline the job you are doing in brief, including the most relevant aspects of this in relation to the job you want.
- Refer back to support your position. It is worth including a sentence about your previous experience, where it is relevant to the job you are applying for, to strengthen your position as an ideal candidate and to show that you can deliver a concise response.
- Look ahead. Your response will be much more interesting if you explain why you want this particular job, and what it will give you in your career progression. If you want to specialise, and this position offers you the chance to do so, mention this and qualify that this is one reason for really wanting this job.
- Show your personality. Instead of seeing this question as a terrifying test, try to re-frame it as an opportunity to share your best qualities and make an impression in the interview. This is a chance to embellish your CV, which the interviewer will already have seen, with a personal touch, so make sure that you do not neglect this opportunity to make a positive connection.
Connect With Top Recruitment Agencies In Cork
CareerWise is Ireland’s leading specialist recruitment firm, based in Cork, Shannon, Galway and Mayo, and our professional team can help you to find the new position you are looking for. Contact us online now or call us on +353 (0) 21 206 1900 to arrange a consultation.