When Christmas is over and done with, the start of a new year is just around the corner. If you’re feeling the need for a big change in your life, and you don’t want to waste your New Year’s resolutions on the same old promises that’ll be forgotten before the end of January, you might be thinking about looking for a new job.
It’s a great time to think about where you want to be going in your career, and what you’d like to achieve in the next twelve months. Do you need a new direction in your working life, or a position that will give you more variety, or more responsibility on a daily basis?
1. Why do you want a new job? Before you start looking for new positions, think about what the problem is with your current job. If you feel unfulfilled, or aren’t using the skills you would like to be using, it can help to think about what you like and dislike about your job, and this will help you to work out what you’d like to do next.
2. What skills do you have? Think about what you enjoy doing, and how you can best use your skills. Consider the skills you use in other areas, this is not just about the skills you use in your existing job. Are you going back to work after being at home with children? Your time management and multi-tasking skills are sure to be excellent! If you spend your spare time volunteering for a charity, don’t forget to note down your commitment, motivation and organisational skills.
3. Do you have enough experience? Experience counts for a great deal. Any new employer will be looking for someone who can bring useful experience to the table as this will give them the assurance that you can handle the challenge of the role you want. If you are going for an internal promotion, build on the experience you already have and take the chance to gain more.
4. What sort of job could you do? It’s important to be realistic about the sort of job you can do, and to think carefully about what you want from your career. If you want a job that’ll give you a good work/life balance and allow you to earn a better wage, perhaps you’ll need to consider re-training, or applying for a position that’ll allow you to climb up the ladder gradually.
5. Speak to the experts. Visit a recruitment agency such as CareerWise, where you will be able to discuss your expertise, experience and expectations, and find great vacancies that may be options for you.
When you’re considering a new career, it’s helpful to speak to the professionals and access the best job opportunities. CareerWise is Ireland’s leading specialist Technical and Executive Recruitment firm, and our friendly team are on hand to help you to find great positions in the Medical Device, Sciences/Pharma and ICT industries. Contact us online now or call us on +353 (0) 21 206 1900 to arrange a consultation.
Upload your CV to apply for as many jobs as you like.upload your CV