Smile And The Whole World Smiles With You
It’s Not Easy Keeping The Sunny Side Up
Not every day starts with the sounds of birds chirping, and the warm glow of the morning sun cradling your face. Sometimes, “more often than not”, you wake up to chaos, panic and simply not enough time to get everything done. The chaos, is not just in the world around you but it’s an on going process in your head.
On these days it’s difficult to get your happy face on before arriving at work. So what can you do to help keep the sunny side out?
Well, of course, there are the obvious dietary guidelines we should all follow.
- Eat nutritionally sound, regular small meals. Ditch the junk food, don’t over eat in one sitting as it will just make you feel sluggish and unproductive. Try to eat small amounts spread evenly across the day.
- Drink plenty of water. We all love our coffee and tea, however, not drinking enough water through out the day will can lead to dehydration, which in turn causes headaches, cause lack of concentration and ultimately will make you crankier.
- Try to get at least 15 minutes exercise and fresh air on your lunch break.
Sometimes It’s The Simplest Of Things That Can Put A Smile On Our Faces
While trying to be a health conscious as possible can have a huge impact on our happiness, consistent, long-term happiness depends on our ability to notice and appreciate the small things in life.
Ten things that make me smile …..
- When you see elderly couples holding hands.
- When you observe “friends” who so obviously like each other as more than friends.
- When you remembering a fond childhood memory.
- When you find something you’ve lost.
- When you hear a baby or small children laugh. (Yes, even for those of you who think they are little monsters.)
- When you unexpectedly run into a long lost friend that you miss.
- When the sun finally shines after some not so sunny weather.
- When you find cash in your pocket.
- When you watch a favorite cartoon from childhood “Come on, who can think about Bosco and keep a serious face?”.
- When you have a moment of reflection that comes to you when you realize that you have a lot to be grateful for.
Still not smiling?
- Search your deleted email folder or texts for “thank you.” You probably made a huge difference in someone’s life recently – remember that now!
- Call your oldest friend, start a conversation with, “’Remember when we…,”
- Grab your camera or phone and go outside with a mission to capture things that make you happy.
- Visit a positive news site. (There are tons of them.)
- Use the search functionality on Twitter and look for “happy” or “smile.”
I believe that a smile is one of the most powerful and most underrated gifts that we, as humans, possess. Smiling is contagious and we have a subconscious drive to smile when we see one. A smile given to the right person at the right time could influence what that person does next and the choices they make.
“Smile and the whole world smiles with you—it’s true”
So many of us go through our days dragging our feet, lamenting our struggles, waiting for this or that to happen to cheer us up and we forget that all the while, we have this incredible tool at our disposal. So go on make someones’ day, give them a smile, pass it on.