The Process of Change – “A Career in Recruitment”
As Ireland’s unemployment rates continue to drop (7.1% Jan 2017), the function of the Recruitment Consultant / Recruiter has become a vital resource both for the client and the candidate.
We at CareerWise are currently recruiting both in our Cork and Galway Offices to support the growing jobs market in Ireland.
What are the challenges facing recruiters?
After 13 years working within recruitment I have seen many of the challenges being a recruitment consultant can present. You will have massive highs but you will also experience some very low days.
If you want to succeed as a recruiter you have to have certain skills, however, none are more important than integrity. Operating with a strong moral compass has become a pre-requisite for longevity in the recruitment business. Those that cut corners, lie and burn bridges in this industry simply won’t last.
Another massive obstacle for recruiters is connecting with candidates through the noise of all the other recruiters trying to reach out to the same candidates in an effective and professional manner.
For success you will also need to have:
- The ability to cultivate and build relationships
- Desire to succeed
- Strong follow-up skills
- Consultative by nature
- Have excellent time management skills
- Have the ability to listen; you are a match maker
- Positive plus confident; you are offering your services to both candidate and clients alike, sometimes outside of office hours
- Marketing expert – you know your expertise and have market knowledge to offer
- You are comfortable with sales targets / target driven
- You are comfortable under pressure
- You are an effective communicator, you need to be tactful and considerate
- The ability to multitask, a recruiter’s day can be hectic
- Time management, jobs need to be filled quickly, candidates need to be updated
- Patient and flexible; it is not always on your time schedule
- Responsive – you need to act quickly for both the client and candidate – it is a very competitive market
- Social Media – this will give you an edge if you keep up with current technologies
- The ability to read body language / “understanding what is not said”
- Reliable; you have to be good to you word and deliver what you commit
- Team Player – recruitment is a team sport
In summary, recruitment is an essential service to both candidates and clients alike. Good recruiters pride themselves on helping people make positive changes in their lives and enjoy delivering results in a very competitive environment.
There will, of course, be heartbreak however, more than often you will have a very fulfilling career.
You will meet some amazing people along the way and the end results can lead to a fantastic sense of achievement and financial reward.
If you are a recruiter or are working in industry and think you have all the skills necessary to join us a market leader in recruitment, why not give us a shout!
Galway Positions: http://careerwise.ie/jobs/Technical_Recruitment_Consultant_CW120093/mike morrissey