Alternative Career Options for Accountants
Here at CareerWise, we work with professionals in many disciplines and we are often surprised to hear that people feel limited by their choice of career. Although it isn’t always easy to think outside the box, we often encourage our clients to consider how their skills and qualifications could be translated into a career that is exactly what they want to be doing.
As an accountant, you have the skillset to step into several different types of career depending on your own experiences and preferences. Here is a guide to some of our recommendations, and the reasons that you might want to consider them.
Ideas For Accountants with Ambition
Experienced accountants are in a great position, with these skills in high demand. This means that it is possible to design an exciting and challenging career for yourself if this is your background. Here are some ideas you may not have considered that may work out well for you:
- Managerial role. Managerial roles often demand accounting skills and involve preparing reports, working with specific budgets and keeping up accountability. If you are a problem solver and a good organiser and communicator, this could be an ideal application of your skills and may provide the future career pathway you are seeking.
- Self employment. As an experienced accountant, you will have seen many different businesses and probably have a better idea than most of what works and what does not. Coming up with your own product or business concept and applying your financial know-how to making it successful is a fascinating way to create a future that excites you.
- Business Analyst. If working with data is what makes you tick and you’re keen to use or develop your programming skills, a Business Analyst role could be the perfect solution for you. Roles vary depending on the company and sector you are considering, so you should be sure to gather as much information as you can about what such roles actually entail.
- Specialist in Investor Relations. Are you a people person? Excellent communication skills are essential for a career in liaising between an organisation and its investors, including analysts and shareholders. If you have a head for managing reports, analysis and reporting, this is an opportunity to shine and may also offer chances to work with the media, which may provide additional appeal.
- IT Specialist. Many companies are streamlining their practice by integrating finance and IT professionals, and as such, an interest in IT alongside accounting experience can be a great combination. This may be a career to consider if you’re interested in technology, want to take on further training and are not afraid of building skills in software development and other relevant areas.
Are You Looking For Recruitment Agencies In Cork?
CareerWise is Ireland’s leading specialist Technical and Executive Recruitment firm and we can help you to find your ideal new position in Cork, Shannon and Galway. Contact us online, or call on +353 (0) 21 206 today.
(Senior Recruitment Consultant) BA (Hons) – Galway Office
Mark Brandon graduated from Athlone Institute of Technology in 2005 with a Degree in Accounting and Finance.
Mark then went on to work in both Industry and Practice before undertaking a Career in Recruitment.
He has several years recruitment experience having worked in both the UK and Irish Markets. He has specialised in Accountancy and Finance, Financial Services, IT and Insurance.
Mark is also a keen sportsman, having represented Connacht, Roscommon and Athlone Town at various levels.
Mark is based in our Galway office having joined CareerWise as a Recruitment Consultant in Galway 2018.