Important Interview Tips For Newly Qualified Accountants
When you’ve finally qualified as an Accountant, and all the hard work is about to pay off, it’s nerve-wracking to consider your first interview. When you’ve been training for a specific role, interviewing for positions once you are qualified may feel overwhelming, but your efforts will be rewarded if you take the time to prepare yourself and give your best to the interview ahead.
Here at CareerWise, we work with businesses and applicants to find the perfect candidate for every role. We specialise in accounting positions, and we will work with you to give you the best possible opportunities within the industry. Take some time to read through our top tips for interviews as a newly qualified accountant, and give yourself the best chance to secure the role you want.
How To Succeed At An Accounting Interview
- Prepare examples to offer. During an interview, you will almost certainly be asked to give examples of times when you have demonstrated certain skills that will be required of you, so prepare yourself for this by making some notes about the way you have worked with previous clients, what role you played and exactly what you did in your role.
- Know your figures. You should show a good awareness of reporting standards and the differences between them, and you should be able to give examples of these to demonstrate that you know your tests for balance sheet items. It is vital that you display your knowledge confidently at this stage, so it will pay to put in the effort here.
- Find out about the company. If this is a company you are serious about working for, take the time to research them in depth. Check out their financial statements over the last three years and review these, bringing your questions to your interviewer to demonstrate your knowledge and skills.
- Show your commitment. Your interviewer will need to believe that you have the skills and the commitment to be an asset to the business and to become a loyal and productive employee. Don’t forget to show that you believe in the company and see yourself as an integral part of it, rather than following your own ambition and using the company as a stepping stone.
- Be confident. Although any interview can be stressful, you should remind yourself that you have worked hard for this and that you are qualified for the position you are applying for. See yourself as a successful applicant, and know that even if this is not the right role for you, it will be a valuable experience on your route to the perfect job.
Are You Looking For Accounting Jobs in Cork and Limerick?
CareerWise is Ireland’s leading specialist Technical and Executive Recruitment firm, and we can help you to secure a new position within a wide range of industries.
For roles including accounting jobs across Cork, Galway and accounting job in Limerick, call us at CareerWise on +353 (0) 21 206 1900 for a consultation, or contact us online today
(Senior Recruitment Consultant) BA (Hons) – Galway Office
Mark Brandon graduated from Athlone Institute of Technology in 2005 with a Degree in Accounting and Finance.
Mark then went on to work in both Industry and Practice before undertaking a Career in Recruitment.
He has several years recruitment experience having worked in both the UK and Irish Markets. He has specialised in Accountancy and Finance, Financial Services, IT and Insurance.
Mark is also a keen sportsman, having represented Connacht, Roscommon and Athlone Town at various levels.
Mark is based in our Galway office having joined CareerWise as a Recruitment Consultant in Galway 2018.