If you’re a recruiter, the chances are that you’ve never thought about what you could learn about your role from the hit TV series Breaking Bad. Breaking Bad follows Walter White, who moves from high school teacher to drug baron, and his assistant and partner in crime, Jesse Pinkman, high school dropout turned entrepreneur.
At CareerWise, we love to bring something new to a situation, and to consider whether doing things differently might reap greater rewards. Stepping outside the box can unleash a whole new level of potential, and we believe that following the Breaking Bad philosophy (the legal way!) could bring useful insights to the recruitment process.
1. Look for talent. When he sets himself up as a drugs manufacturer, lead character, Walt, does not recruit for his new business via the usual channels. In his case, this is due to the dubious nature of his business, but for us, this can serve simply as a reminder that the most talented individuals may not be sifting through job advertisements. Getting yourself out there and finding individuals who are ambitious and motivated may be more complicated in the first instance, but it’s much more likely to bring you the candidates you really want.
2. Build your reputation. It’s pretty obvious in Breaking Bad that Walt rides high due to his reputation for being the best at what he does. While we don’t encourage you to follow in his footsteps, it’s well worth taking the time to reflect on the impression of yourself that you are giving others, and to ensure that this is as positive as possible. Making yourself synonymous with quality and excellence will ensure that you are in high demand.
3. Know your stuff. Walt soon discovers that he’s in over his head, but instead of quitting, he immerses himself in the world he is trying to conquer and learns all there is to know about the hierarchy and distribution network. Knowledge is power, and doing your research will pay dividends when you’re looking for a new role or a dynamic new employee to fill a position in your company.
4. Make yourself indispensable. Walt depends on his own expertise as a chemist to make himself irreplaceable in his field. One of the best things you can do for your career, whether you are running a business or looking for a challenging new role, is to carve out your niche and identify your specific talents so that you can truly shine in your field.
5. Exceed expectations. Breaking Bad includes many scenes in which Walt goes beyond what is asked of him and gives a higher level of service than was expected. This is a pretty basic tenet of recruitment, but you can’t go far wrong if you always aim to exceed the expectations your colleagues, employers and clients have of you.
CareerWise is Ireland’s leading specialist recruitment firm, based in Cork, Limerick, Shannon and Galway, and our friendly team are always on hand to help. Contact us online now or call us on +353 (0) 21 206 1900 to arrange a consultation.
For roles including accounting jobs across Cork, Limerick or engineering jobs across Galway, call us at CareerWise on +353 (0) 21 206 1900 for a consultation, or contact us online today.
Joe Robbins is co-founder of CareerWise Recruitment. A graduate of the University of Limerick (Degree in Business Studies, 1985), Joe worked in the UK for five years where he specialised in materials management, production management and plant management for a number of companies.
He returned to Ireland in 1992 to become Operations Manager for a Cork-based start-up, FMC Automotive Division which was subsequently taken over by Snap-on Equipment. Joe managed the business re-location of this company to Shannon in 1997 before setting up CareerWise Recruitment in 1999.
He is a committee member of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) Mid-West region, and a former Director and Vice President of the Shannon Chamber of Commerce. Joe is former Chairperson of the Sixmilebridge Camogie Club and current Chairperson of the Clare County Camogie Board.
Upload your CV to apply for as many jobs as you like.upload your CV
CareerWise Recruitment. EastGate Village, EastGate, Little Island, Cork.
Phone: +353 (0) 21 206 1900